Friday, September 10, 2010

Melt in Your Mouth POT ROAST!!!




Some of you know I am not a cook!
If there is an easy way to get it done...I am there!
That's why I was a little hesitant to try this recipe.
I have ALWAYS cooked a roast in the crock-pot!
ALWAYS...I didn't know there was another way to cook it...

ok-- I knew, I just didn't cook it that way.
Until NOW!



I was reading through
this blog

(she's amazing by the way)
and came across her recipe for Pot Roast...so I tried it...

Never again will I cook another pot roast in the crock pot...Never!



 
 
POT ROAST
 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Whole (4-5 lb.) Chuck Roast
2 Whole Onions
6 Whole Carrots
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 Cup Red Wine (optional, Can use Beef Broth instead)
2-3 Cups of Beef Stock
3 Springs of fresh Thyme
3 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
 
Generously salt and pepper your roast.  Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Then add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.  Cut the two onions in half and cut 6-8 carrots into 2 inch slices ( I always peel my carrots, but she says you don't have to).  When the oil is very hot (but not smoking) add the onion halves, browning them on both sides.  Remove onions and put them on a plate.  Put the carrots into the same pot and toss them until slightly brown.  Remove carrots to plate.  Place the meat in the pan and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over.  Remove the meat and put with the onions and carrots.  With the burner still on high, use wither red wine or beef broth (I always use the broth, cause we don't have wine -- ha) to deglaze the pan.  When the bottom of the pan is deglazed, place the roast back into the pan and add enough beef stock to cover the meat half way.  Add the onions and carrots.  Cover with lid and place roast in a 275 degree oven for 3 hours ( for a 3 lb. roast).  For a 4-5 lb. roast, plan on 4 hours.
 
Eat and enjoy!!!  I promise you, you are going to like this.  Personally, I have never used the Rosemary and Thyme because I never have fresh Rosemary and Thyme at my house.  One day I may add it and see what it does.  But my boys like it just as well without it, so I may not mess with a good thing!
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tori said...

I have made this recipe before and you are right! It is an absolutely delicious Pot Roast recipe! I work with La Cense Beef and I always cook with grass fed beef. Grass fed beef is lower in omega 6 acids and higher in omega 3’s. It is also higher in beta-carotene. For extra health benefits you should try grass fed beef the next time you make this recipe.

Post a Comment